Shuttle valve function is illustrated in below shuttle valve animation.
Available shuttle valve types in the market:
Ball Type Shuttle Valve Example KSWA3
- Compact design for in-line design within a manifold
- Highest pressure inlet (1 or 3) is connected to outlet (2).
- Lowest pressure inlet is closed by ball.
- Low leakage (<3 drops/min)
- Rated to 420bar
- Larger (increased capacity) poppet version K2A005 also available
SpoolType Shuttle Valve Example K04B/D3
- Port1 connected to port 2 unless sufficient pressure applied to port 3
- Available with spring offset (K04B3) or without (K04D3)
- Can be used in motor brake release (see below)
- When pump is off, pressure at port 1 = zero and brake is applied.
- When pump is running and spool load due to pressure at port 1 is greater than spring load, brake is released.
Cross reference list for some brands of shuttle valves are as below.